Pea & Mint Soup
2021! Let’s leave the last year well behind us and get this one off to a good start.
This month I’ve come up with a couple of recipes suitable for anyone doing Veganuary, and everyone else too.
PEA & MINT SOUP.
I love soup. There is nothing more warming or comforting for lunch and it’s such a great way to meet your 5 a day.
Frozen peas are a staple for me & I usually make this soup the day before my food delivery when I’ve run out of fresh produce.
450ml vegetable stock (homemade or from a stock cube)
500g frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 peeled, crushed garlic clove
50g vegan cream ( soy cream, Oatly cream or Elmlea plant based cream)
- Chop up the potato. Place in a saucepan with the peas, stock and crushed garlic.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pan.
- Cook for about 10 mins, or until the potato is soft and cooked.
- Leave to cool.
- Transfer to a blender. Add the fresh mint and vegan cream. Blitz.
- Season to taste. Heat through and serve.
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE
For anyone who is feeling the after effects of too much rich food & drink at christmas, trying to get more fruit & veg in, but still needs their chocolate fix!
1 large avocado
40g dark chocolate
2 tablespoons vegan cream (as in the soup recipe)
2 dessert spoons maple syrup
Desiccated coconut and freeze dried strawberry to decorate (optional)
- Peel the avocado and remove the stone.
- Take a heat proof bowl and break up the chocolate. Place in the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Meanwhile blitz the avocado with the cream and maple syrup. (I use a hand blender for this).
- Stir in the melted chocolate so that it’s all well combined. You can use the hand blender again (if you have one). If you’re not happy that the mixture is silky smooth (ie you have little lumps of avocado) you can push it through a fine meshed sieve to get the desired texture.
- Place into dessert bowls/ glasses, decorate with toppings and place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
Happy new year to you all!
By Ella Easton